Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Poker is all about situations

I'm playing on Poker Stars, $25 NL.
A player I'm targeting raises to .50. That's what he's raised to every hand. So even though I don't have that7-lg great of a hand - it's exactly the kind of hand, in fact, I would pitch if a tighter player raised - I call.
Everyone else folds. Even better. An easily dominated Ace is not the kind I want to play against more than one player.
The flop is pretty good - A♦-10♣-2♠.
This guy was spewing chips left and right, which is why I was targeting him. So when he bets more than the pot, $2.50, I'm hardly worried. I call right away.
The turn brings an 8♥. Perfect.
He shoves the rest of his stack in, and I call right away.
That's not a call I would easily make in another situation. I still might, even against a tight player, but I would have to think about it.
Here, I'm sure I'm good. He's exactly the kind of player who would overvalue a hand like top pair. It's even possible that he has two-pair here as well. If he has A-10, then that's poker, and I'll quit and blow up some stuff in Grand Theft Auto.
I doubt he has a set. He'd probably try to get more chips out of me.
Sure enough, he shows A-2, and I take a nice pot.
This is a classic example of adjusting your play to the player. I'd normally never call even an aggressive player's raise with A-8, and I'd certainly pause before I called an all-in shove, but in this case, I knew I was good.
Poker is all about situations, and fortunately I found the right one to get all my chips in the middle.

No comments: